Well colour me happy! I walked in Westminster Abbey and pictures are now allowed. I did not have my camera (because as far as I knew pictures weren’t allowed) and I had to make do with my iPhone. Pictures have never been allowed before in the Abbey and I will admit I snuck one a few years back of C.S. Lewis. Next time I’m in London, I’ll be back WITH my camera.
Westminster Abbey is one of the most fascinating places I have ever wandered through. The architecture is spellbinding and so many events have taken place here including:
- The Tomb of the Unknown Warrior
- Every coronation since 1066
- Royal Burials ~ Elizabeth I, Mary I and Mary, Queen of Scots
- Burials ~ Stephen Hawking, C.S. Lewis, Isaac Newton, Charles Dickens
- Funerals ~ Diana, Princess of Wales, The Queen Mother and since my visit, Queen Elizabeth II
- Weddings ~ The Queen and Prince Philip, Prince William and Kate Middleton
- Memorials ~ Jane Austen, Lord Byron, Sir Francis Drake, Lewis Carroll
There is too much history in this one place to fully take in. I have been here many times and see something different every time.
Tomb of the Unknown Warrior
Queen Elizabeth I and Mary 1
Mary, Queen of Scots
King Edward I, King Henry III, King Edward III, King Richard II and Anne of Cleves
More of the Abbey
Jackie is “Mom” to one amazing son, an IT professional, and an obsessed traveller. She spends her time reading, golfing at Ladies League, and implementing software projects. Jackie has travelled to 7 continents and 90 countries and is always planning the next destination and adventure!